Tomatoes reach their peak in the hot days of summer.
These wonderful fruits are high in lycopene, which is a cancer-fighting antioxidant that helps protect your cells from damage.
To put your garden tomatoes to good use, take this Tomato Salad recipe to your next summer picnic.
Recipe for Entertaining
The leafy greens and tomatoes are paired with just the right amount of healthy fats and sweetness, making this a popular dish every time I share it.
And, the real benefit is that it’s a great way for you to stick to your healthy diet.
Picnics offer up a lot of food choices, but they aren’t always the healthiest foods.
Take this recipe to your next social gathering, and you’ll have a healthy and enjoyable alternative.
Note: I use Swerve Confectioner’s All-Natural Sweetener in this recipe. This natural sweetener can be found in some grocery stores in the health food aisle. But notice that you want to by Swerve Confectioners, not Swerve Granular. If you cannot find it locally, you can order Swerve Confectioners on Amazon.
I talk about using Swerve in my post: Can I Use Stevia and Other Artificial Sweeteners on My Diet
Tomato Salad Recipe
courtesy of Dr. Becky Fitness
- 6 cups (282g) Romaine Lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups (40g) Arugula torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 medium (492g) Tomatoes cut into bite-size pieces; can use red and/or yellow tomatoes
- 4 medium (60g) Green Onions (a.k.a. Scallions or Spring Onions) chopped
- 3 tablespoons (41g) Olive Oil
- 1.5 tablespoons (22g) Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon (9g) Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon (8g) Swerve Confectioners substitute another non-calorie sweetener or sugar
- 1 teaspoon (6g) Salt
- 1 teaspoon (0.7g) Dried Basil
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.2g) Dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.2g) Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup (61g) Feta Cheese Crumbles
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by whisking together the onions, oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Swerve, salt, basil, thyme, and pepper.
- Place the tomato pieces in a bowl and pour the dressing over top. Refrigerator for one hour.
- Assemble the salad just before serving by place the lettuce, arugula, and tomato mixture into a bowl and tossing until mixed. Top with feta cheese.
About the Author
Dr. Becky Gillaspy, DC graduated Summa Cum Laude with research honors from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1991.