If you’re a fan of stew on a cold, winter night, then this Kickin’ Red and Black Bean Stew will be a favorite! And, to make it even better, you can make it in the crock-pot.
Prep and Ingredients for Stew
There is some prep time involved because you have to chop up the vegetables, but the meal is warm and ready for you when you get home from work.
This works really well for DAY 7 of the 7 Day-Junk Foods to Super Foods Challenge because it does not call for any meat or dairy. We use unsweetened coconut milk in place of milk. You could also experiment with almond milk.
The recipe calls for canned beans, but feel free to use dried beans that have been soaked.
KICKIN’ RED AND BLACK BEAN STEW (CROCK-POT)
courtesy of Dr. Becky Fitness
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil substitute avocado oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Sweet Potatoes diced
- 2 cups Carrots sliced
- 3 Green Onions chopped
- 1 15-oz. can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 2 15-oz. cans Dark Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ cup Vegetable Broth or Water
- Pour oil into a 4-quart slow cooker and set cooker on high
- Add garlic and cover while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, green onions and tomatoes to the slow cooker
- Stir in spices (i.e. curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, salt and pepper)
- Add beans, coconut milk and broth
- Reduce heat, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours
About the Author
Dr. Becky Gillaspy, DC graduated Summa Cum Laude with research honors from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1991.