This is a recipe that your whole family can enjoy, and it’s easy to keep on hand.
I never even liked tomato soup before making this recipe!
It is pretty simple to make.
I like to make it on a Sunday afternoon, and then store it in the refrigerator for a quick, healthy lunch throughout the week.
The nice thing is that all of the ingredients are Super Foods.
There is no need for sugar or flour, just a little salt, and pepper to taste.
Zesty Tomato Soup
courtesy of Dr. Becky Fitness
- 2 28-oz. cans Whole Tomatoes substitute 3 cups of fresh whole tomatoes substitute 3 cups of fresh whole tomatoes
- 2 cups Chicken Broth substitute 2 cups of Vegetable Broth if you prefer
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 2 stalks Celery chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Mixed Seasoning Spice I use Mrs. Dash Original Blend, Salt-Free
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried Basil
- ½ teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Sea Salt to taste
- ½ cup raw Cashews alternative: create a roux with 4 tablespoons of whole wheat flour & 2 tablespoons of butter*
- 5 ounces Spinach optional
- In a medium stockpot combine all ingredients except cashews and spinach
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Discard the bay leaf
- Meanwhile finely-grind the cashews in a food processor or blender
- Pour tomato mixture into a blender*, add cashews and blend until smooth
- Return mixture to the stockpot
- Stir in spinach and let spinach wilt
About the Author
Dr. Becky Gillaspy, DC graduated Summa Cum Laude with research honors from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1991.